Cottage at Felpham where William Blake lived from 1800 to 1803
Photographer, Bognor Regis. Legg took over Donald Massey's studio at 20 London Road in Bognor in about 1923 when Massey retired. In addition to undertaking studio portraiture (sometimes supplying clients with their pictures in postcard form), Legg published sepia-tinted cards of Felpham, Pagham, Chichester, Arundel Castle and Slindon woods, some with neat white borders and others, such as the card shown above, lacking borders. The Arundel cards appear to have been the creation of Lionel Goodyer and have captions in his characteristic handwriting. When Goodyer gave up his business in about 1912, his successor Herbert Field continued production of the cards. Later, when Field closed the Goodyer Studio, probably during the early 1920s, he may have asked Legg to take over issuing the Arundel cards. It seems likely that they were sold at the Castle to visitors.
Legg's cards are inconspicuously blind stamped with his facsimile signature in the bottom right corner.
Design: Lucid Design